Wednesday, January 16, 2013

Just Purchased and Installed Nest Thermostat

Lately I've been very sceptical about new technology.  Much of it is touted to make life easier, better or more economical.  However, often new technology is not easy to operate or not as good as advertised.  Much different with this recent purchase. 

I  installed the new 2nd Generation Nest in my home over the weekend.  The directions were terrific and the unit included many different mounting options. In my case, I was removing a large early gen programmable model. I was afraid the new slim-small designed Nest would not cover area where old one was mounted.  Not to worry, they had a bracket/plate that did the job and covered the old holes and paint. 

So far the Nest is performing as advertised. It is learning our habits.  I can also access controls easily anywhere via my IPhone   The best feature is that it programs it-self after learning ours habits.  It already knows when we wake up in the morning and need the temperature to rise in the house.  They claim that it can save you a lot on your energy bills by turning up the heat when you need it and lowering when you don't.  Cost to purchase is high compared to conventional thermostats, but I anticipate this will be easily made up in a short time through energy savings.  I will keep you posted on my experience and level of energy savings.   

No comments:

Post a Comment